7 Tips to Preventing Home Fires – Ignoring These Tips Can Be Detrimental to Your Life and Your Treasured Belongings...
One of the worst and scariest things that can happen is a home fire.
There are many factors at play to make this such a scary predicament. First of all, the danger of injury or death from a fire are always great. Approximately 3,400 deaths from home fire occur in the US each and every year. This of course is a tragic way to perish.
Beyond that, over 13,000 people are injured in over 360,000 home fires occurring each and every single year, according to the U.S. Fire Administration and FEMA website.
Between those statistics, and the other tragedy of losing your home, and your possessions, it's important that you take fire safety extremely seriously.
Many people don't think about fire safety until:
• Tragedy strikes in their own home...
Of course we all lead busy lives, and that's one of the reasons this happens. However, it's not a sufficient excuse once you've lost everything...including possibly yours or a loved one's life.
So to prevent that from happening to you, we want to give you...
One of the biggest dangers is the combination of hot splashing grease and unattended cooking. Hot grease can instantly burst into flames. So it's vital that you're always there to watch and make sure that grease does not splash.
Of course keeping flammable dish towels, paper towels, or pot holders next to an open flame is a recipe for disaster. Keep all of those clear from the stove.
Last but not least, make sure to have a fire extinguisher on hand, ready to go at any moment in the kitchen, to immediately put out any fires. (Hint: This can also perhaps help you earn a discount on your home insurance).
Portable heaters are also a great danger when not used properly. Keep these heaters at least 3 feet away from anything flammable, such as curtains, bed sheets, and never dry clothes on them. Always unplug portable heaters when you leave the home.
The easiest way to prevent a fire from cigarettes is to not ever smoke in the home. Period. However if you insist on still smoking in the home, be sure never to smoke in bed. Most cigarette fires are started with people falling asleep with their cigarette lit.
Using deep ashtrays is highly recommended. Never use flammable items such as paper plates, bowls, or cups as an ashtray. And remember that a cigarette butt can burn and smolder for hours after you think it's been extinguished.
It's important that you keep a close eye on your electrical equipment. Never use faulty equipment. Always watch for frayed or torn cords and wires. Never run a cord under furniture or rugs. Wires get hot. The insulation on wires can also tear in places that you can't see, and cause a fire when up against flammable material.
Also any electrical job in your home, should be done by a professional. Do-it-yourself electrical jobs very often go bad, simply because they're not performed completely properly. This is no time to take a shortcut or save money.
The most common cause of candle fires is because they're placed too close to flammable material such as curtains, table cloths, etc. Other ways that candle fires can easily start are from kids or pets knocking over candles that have been placed too low. It's important that you use a sturdy candle holder that's in no way flammable. Candles melt and the flame can very easily and quickly end up on a flammable source. Do a thorough walk through your home whenever candles are lit, and make sure all have been extinguished.
The first step is to explain in great detail the full dangers of fire. This is the time that you want to scare you children a bit. You also want to be diligent about keeping any source of fire out of their reach. If you find anything like matches, lighters, or even notice burnt or melted toys in their room or play area, immediately take action. In this case it's better to assume that they're likely playing with fire and strongly re-iterate the dangers.
If your electricity frequently shuts off, or trips fuses or breakers then that's telling you that you have a problem. Faulty outlets and bad or old wiring can be dangerous.
Never try to be an electrician in the home if you're not one. Let a professional handle the electrical work in every situation. This decision could save your life, your family's life, as well as your home and all of your possessions in the home.
Bonus Tip: Keep smoke alarms in every room of your home, and frequently (do it now) check the batteries, and make sure that all are in working order.
Now that you know how to prevent fires in your home, you should take action now while it's fresh in your mind.